Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"Anything for family'

‘I’m not jealous over the Mungaru Male weave in the Kannada film industry because their hard efforts have yielded good result and as an actor I should appreciate its success’ – Darshan, Actor

His father was a well-known supporting actor in the Kannada Film Industry with sharing roles in more than hundreds of films with late Dr Rajkumar, Togudeepa Srinivas is still referred as an example on performing perfect bad roles. His son Darshan Togudeepa didn’t choose performing bad roles but embarked upon stepping into Kannada film industry with Cinematography and landed-up in the end as the ‘Challenging Star’.

1. Known as an established actor in the Kannada film industry how do you see your growth till to this day?

I should remember my father for whatever I am today. He was the one who brought energy in me to jump into this field to find a space of mine. Initially when I entered into Kannada film industry I preferred to choose cinematography and continued till someone told me to try with acting. So, here I am today earning good trust among the producers as a ‘Trusted Actor’ to get their investment back. But still there is lot to be learnt in the industry everyday because new projects are posed with new challenges and new challenges requires extra skills.

2. Your career in the Kannada film industry began with playing a baddy-cum-heroic role in ‘Majestic’ but still you are continuing with the same sort of roles, r u not looking for a change?


Of course every actor hops for a variety of new roles so am I. When I performed ‘Majestic’ I never made an oath that in the future also I would do films on violence. But as the time pass by my fan base started liking me more in blood and gory roles than in artistic movies. In between then to remove this tag from me I performed complete love story movies. ‘Namma Preethiya Ramu’ got rave reviews from film critics and appreciated me for performing the role with perfection. Projects which came after were action oriented. As an actor I have a very limited space to express my individual opinion so the producer will have the last word. I don’t have regrets in my career for performing these roles but there is satisfaction that I have done justice to the roles in my own way.

3. Togudeepa Productions was a dream of your father and you made it become true by ‘Jothe Jotheyali’ running into hundred days. So have you reached the right target?

Togudeepa Productions was my father’s dream. When he was alive he never
conversed his dream with us but had informed my mother that he will certainly do it in his lifetime if time allows him to do so. He couldn’t start the production and died before realizing it. But my mother took his responsibility to make it happen. When we, with the entire Togudeepa family, realized that only production of a film will not work with it but bringing forth some quality movies will definitely work with the audience. Then my brother (Dinakar) came out with ‘Jothey Jotheyali’ which broke all the musical records at all the music stalls. Till now we have not planned of what type of movies will be produced under my banner. Yet, we have put lot of hard work into it and will definitely expect good result at the end of the day.

4. Anaji Nagaraj seems to be sharing a good rapport with the family. He has been handling cinematography in all of your movies. Why this special bonding?

Anaji has stood with the family when we were (family) facing financial crisis. After the death of my father only few people in the industry stood behind us to get all of our losses back. And Anaji Nagaraj is one among them who with his strength and capacity did his contribution to the family. I remember all those names who really played their roles well without selfishness like family members to get rid of the family problems. So, if they come to me for performing a free role for them then I would do it at any point of time.

5. Why don’t you give a try in direction? Actors like Sudeep, Ramesh are turning towards direction. When will you direct a movie?

My entry into the Kannada industry was accidental but my providence was well written by God so I was given a chance to prove on the screen. But I’m not sure whether audience would not even dare to see films directed by me (laughs). I consider myself as new to this world of direction. Untill I perform better in acting till then it would be a foolish decision if I venture into direction. If others had jumped into direction then it would be merely of aping others profession than understanding my capacities and strengths. I don’t think I can prove myself in direction. So, better let me be in acting than standing behind a camera and directing film crew to dance into my tunes.

6. Don’t you think the success of Mungaru Male and Kariya have taken senior actors in the Kannada industry to back seats?

It is true that the two films have really brought a new wave in the industry by showing that even with a small budget and good story line a movie starring small screen star cast can run in theatres for 25 weeks. Sometimes a small time luck also plays a pivotal role which is not in our hands. If you imagine myself playing a lead role in these movies might have flopped in theatres. So, understanding a chemistry to run films for hundred days isn’t an easy task. I’m not bothered of movies breaking new histories in theatres but rather on the content which is more important than the success of a movie.

7. Is it true that profits made under the banner of ‘Togudeepa Productions’ will go for social work purposes?


Yes, my mother (Meena Toogudeepa) feels that some amount of profit should go for social work purposes because when you are living in a society you should sometimes think of doing well for others. My family has been doing this since we are attached with the industry. My father when he was alive used to visit orphanages to distribute sweets and clothes to orphan boys and girls. Even now the same tradition is being continued in our family to make ourselves better humans. It is viewers money so the profit earned through them should go back to them in whatsoever means it is possible.


8. You have been offered of playing lead roles in Telugu and Tamil films yet you seem to be hesitant. Why?


I don’t see any necessity in starring in Telugu and Tamil films. It is true that many directors from other regional industries approached me for working with them. But my conscious didn’t allowed to me to sign with their projects. I’m concerned more of working with the local language than making in regional languages. I have been born and brought up in Karnataka and I will continue to do so no matter what happens with my career. The people of Karnataka have given me a place in their hearts and I don’t want to loose it at any cost.





No comments: